Friday, May 13, 2011

Keep going

One of my Aunties died several years ago, losing her fight with breast cancer, but striding joyously into Heaven.  She displayed a type of courage that is often overlooked.  No matter what the disease threw at her that day, she was determined to fight it again tomorrow.  The last time I saw her, I told her how brave I thought she was.  She told me that it wasn't bravery; it was just what you had to do.  I still believe she had more courage than many "heroes" I know.

My Mom lives with this just-keep-going belief set.  She and my Father brought us up believing that you do the best you can each day and you will do the same tomorrow.   You didn't quit when the going got tough.  There was no job-jumping, house hopping, friend-dumping when things got bumpy.  You kept plugging away at it.  Life wasn’t disposable.  You make mistakes, assume responsibility, and go on.  Thanks Mom and Dad.

Sometimes I am able to honor those teachings and just keep going.  When I find I can't do it, my wonderful spouse will remind me that tomorrow is another day.  It is ok to stop right now and take a breath.  The trick is to try again tomorrow.  This has helped guide me though my life-the ups, downs, and sideways that hit us all.  I’m struggling with one of those downs right now.  I’ve been talking about it in Facebook. 

This was posted recently on my Facebook page, under the link for this blog: "I admire your courage, Jenna."   I had to read it twice. She wasn't referring to the rush-in-the-building-save-the-baby type of courage, but rather the "I'll try again tomorrow," attitude that keeps one plugging away day after day.  Despite my disbelief that I am doing this mantra justice right now, I am very thankful for the encouragement.  I almost forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment